Monday, January 27, 2014

Longest Run Yet | Staying Hydrated | Off the beaten path

Monday
Workout - 3.89 miles outside (walk/jog) with my friend Jessica

Today felt great! It was my longest distance yet. And while I'm not able to run the whole distance yet today if it wasn't uphill we were jogging which for me is a huge improvement, and let me tell ya the hills we walked were insane! The second to last hill was 3/4 of a mile at what has to be a 45% incline! Pushing a double jogger that's a whole body workout right there people. But man did we feel accomplished when we were done. 

I just love this area we live in! It's so fun to explore with friends on these crazy runs and find new off the beaten path spots that are filled with beauty and treasures. Plus I love running outside so I'm grateful to be currently living in a location that allows me to do that pretty much year round. While the pretty scenery is great to look at and way more interesting than running a track it's also great for running with your kiddos. One thing I have learned about running with a toddler is that sometimes (most times) there has to be something in it for them. On a longer run that often means stopping half way through to let your little munchkin out of the stroller to stretch their legs and get out some of the wiggles. Which is exactly what I let the little princess do on today's long run. 

We found this cool bridge on our run

Have I mentioned how much I love this stroller?
Getting our the wiggles | running with toddlers

Have I mentioned how incredibly important it is to stay hydrated while running? No ... ok ... people you have to have to have take water with you on your runs! Especially if you are new to running! I have found this to be especially true for me. If I don't drink enough water prior to, during and right after a run I pay for it ALL day. I'm talking a major headache here. You know the kind that doesn't go away no matter how much Advil you throw at it. So drink your water while you run ... you'll thank me later. I usually try to drink 20oz or so during my run, of course this varies based on the distance of the run sometimes it's more sometimes it's less. Then after my run I make sure I drain a whole bottle of water (pictured below).
1/2 way done 1/2 full water bottle

No comments:

Post a Comment